„Don't do a plan just to get a permit”
- What is the cost of RapidPlan and why isn’t it on the website?
q: What is the cost of RapidPlan and why isn’t it on the website?
a: Please call your local sales contact for prices. RapidPlan is currently sold and used in 18 countries, customized for each country. The price in each country is based on the amount of work needed to customize the software, and the potential sales opportunity in that country.
- How do I order RapidPlan and how soon can I get it?
q: How do I order RapidPlan and how soon can I get it?
a: Your local sales contact will email or fax the order form to you. In most cases you can order the software, and receive the software via download within a couple hours of contacting your sales representative.
- What is RapidPlan used for?
q: What is RapidPlan used for?
a: RapidPlan is used by people that need to create diagrams controlling the movement of traffic (vehicular, pedestrian, bicycles etc) on and around roadways. RapidPlan is extremely flexible and can assist with the creation of a very diverse range of plan types, from traffic control plans to event management diagrams.
- Do I need to be a draftsman or engineer to use RapidPlan?
q: Do I need to be a draftsman or engineer to use RapidPlan?
a: Absolutely not. RapidPlan is designed to be easy to learn and easy to use. As long as you have some basic computer skills you will have no problem learning to use RapidPlan.
- So the system is easy to use?
q: So the system is easy to use?
a: RapidPlan is very easy to learn and use. Many of our users are not overly proficient or experienced with computers, but are generally able to pick up RapidPlan in a few days. We also offer unlimited support so help is always just a phone call away.
While being very easy to use RapidPlan is still extremely powerful. Take a look at some of the sample plans that are available to see the diverse range of output that RapidPlan can produce.
- How much training time is required?
q: How much training time is required?
a: This varies significantly from user to user, but most people are able to make a start on creating plans after watching the introductory tutorial (20 minutes). Most of the tools in RapidPlan operate in a similar manner, so once you master one figuring out the others is generally straightforward.
- A lot of the sample plans are full color. Can these be faxed?
q: A lot of the sample plans are full color. Can these be faxed?
a: RapidPlan has a built in 'fax mode' that will enable you to automatically switch RapidPlan to a high contrast low color version designed for faxing. The fax mode button is available on the toolbar above your plan
- How do I use screenshots or aerial photos for drawing plans?
q: How do I use screenshots or aerial photos for drawing plans?
1. The mapping or aerial photography program of your choice (or website) display the aerial photo you wish to use on your screen.
2. Adjust the size/zoom of the map so that you can see the entire area that you need to work on. Next, press the Print Screen key on your keyboard (generally it is near your F12 key and is sometimes abbreviated with prt scr on it)
3. In the program RapidPlan, go to File tab and select New from Screenshot. The image should then appear on your plan
4. To get rid of the areas in the image that you don't want to include, use the Crop tool: right click on the image of the map on your plan, and select Object Cropping>Crop. The Crop tool will then be enabled and all you need to do now is to select the portion of the image you want to retain by holding down the mouse and then dragging it until the area to be retained is highlighted (inside/within the red line of the cropping tool). Release the mouse.
Now you're all set!
- How do I create custom signs?
q: How do I create custom signs?
All the signs that ship with RapidPlan are created using the primitive objects and other road tools. You can use the primitive objects to create your own sign, or you can adjust existing signs to create new variations.
To create a new sign follow these steps:
1. Draw your sign using the primitive objects tools
2. Select all the elements of your sign but dragging a selection box around all items you wish to include
3. Right click on one of the items and select 'group'.
4. If you wish to save this sign for later use, right click on it and select 'quicksave'.
5. After entering a name for your sign it will now be available from the custom tab in teh signs palette.
The process is similar for editing existing signs.
1. Place the sign you wish to edit on your plan
2. Right click on the sign and select 'ungroup'
3. Edit the elements you wish to change
4. Drag a selection box around the completed sign, then right click on it and select 'group'.
5. You can then save the adjusted sign for later reuse by right clicking on it and selecting 'quicksave'.
- How do I set the scale for a plan?
q: How do I set the scale for a plan?
You can set the scale for a plan by specifying the units to be used, or you can use the scale calculator tool. The scale calculator tool is best used in conjunction with aerial photos or other existing diagrams, but can also be used on a new blank plan.
To use the scale calculator tool follow these steps:
1. Import your aerial photo or other diagram onto your plan
2. Using the Scale Calculator, drag over an area of the photo, enter its real world distance and press the Set Scale button.
3. Draw an auto-distance marker over the same area you dragged previously. It should show the real world distance that you entered (make sure the units of the marker are not set to pixels), which would mean the scale was set correctly.
- How do I draw turn lanes and bus pull outs?
q: How do I draw turn lanes and bus pull outs?
a: The Autoroad tool can be used for drawing all kinds of road adjustments. Addional lanes (like turn lanes) can be created by drawing a single-lane road along the edge of a multi-lane road, positioned such that the road surface overlaps the edge and shoulder of the multilane road. The two roads will then merge into one. The extra lane can be then marked using the Lane Marker tool.
- Can I email my plans to people that don't have RapidPlan?
q: Can I email my plans to people that don't have RapidPlan?
a: The best way to email plans is to use the save as PDF function available in the file menu. This will create a PDF document that will be viewable by anyone that has acrobat reader installed (available here): http://get.adobe.com/reader/)
- How do I create a Bridge over and not an intersection when drawing roads in 2.0?
q: How do I create a Bridge over and not an intersection when drawing roads in 2.0?
a: If you draw a small portion of road on a layer above another road it wont automerge. We're going to add an option that will let you disable the automerge for a road, but in the meantime the layer will let you draw the bridge.
- RapidPlan 2.0, will not play the tutorial videos. Is there another link to the videos?
q: RapidPlan 2.0, will not play the tutorial videos. Is there another link to the videos?
a: If you're having trouble with the tutorials you might need to update and install windows media player 11. You can download and install it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/default.aspx